Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lentil Tacos with Arugula, Beets, and Goat Cheese

Who needs meat?
Actually I do but you gotta keep yourself in balance, right? To be honest I don't really eat a lot of it. It's expensive and I'm into the idea of cutting down. I don't think we really need to eat it everyday especially with all of the amazing veggie options out there.
Anyway, I just whipped these bad boys up after work. Super quick and infinitely better than those taco kits you buy at the grocery store. I thought I'd amp up the regular old taco not only with a veggie version but with a little switch up in flavour. To do this, I've used arugula, beets and a little goats cheese and I think it tastes great! Beets are one of my all time favourite veggies for their earthy, sweet flavour and the beautiful colours they come in. I've just shredded them up raw here and thrown them on top... making a mess... a tasty mess. Isn't that what tacos are all about anyway?



Lentil Tacos with Beet, Arugula, and Goat Cheese
Makes about 6 tacos. I used the smaller, whole wheat shells. 

2 cups water
1 cup rinsed lentils
pinch of salt

1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 cup strained tomatoes
3 tbsp water
1/2 small onion
1 glove garlic

1 small beet shredded 
1 lime 
arugula
goat cheese
cilantro
anything else you'd like as a topping

Bring your lentils to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, leaving a little bit of bite. You're going to be cooking them further in your sauce so you don't want them to be too soft. 
Strain and set aside.

Cook the onion and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil. When onions start looking soft and transparent add all your spices and stir for a few seconds to bring out the flavour. Add the strained tomato, water and lentils. Cook until the lentils are to the texture you like them, about 5 minutes or so. 

Build your tacos with the arugula, shredded beet, goat cheese and whatever other toppings you like. Top with a bit of cilantro and a squeeze of lime. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive